1849 – Elijah Hill, a shoemaker, purchased the block for $24 and a pair of high boots.
1856 – School Board purchased the block from James Field for $1,000.
1858 – Central School opened (construction cost $6,000) with 280 pupils and three teachers, a year before Oregon became a star in the flag.
1875 – Pioneer Courthouse, second oldest federal courthouse in the West opens.
1883 – Block sold to Northern Pacific Terminal Company (Henry Villard) for $75,000, as the site for a new hotel.